Click here to view a list of free MP3 messages MP3 MESSAGES

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ecclesiastes

In reading through the Old Testament in chronological order, I made it through Ecclesiastes a few days ago. I meant to share this sooner ... but have been busy. I really enjoyed the last few verses of the book:
Ecclesiastes 12:13Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

These last two verses struck me so hard, I had to make them my signature line in my email for a bit. Such a powerful, yet very simple passage. Some may say, oh but that's Old Testament. Let's see a few similar ones in the New Testament:
Matthew 6:4 ...and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
6 ...and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
18 ...and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.
Mark 4:22 For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad.
Luke 8:17For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.
Romans 2: 16In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Galatians 6: 7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

I'm sure there are more examples I could use, but you get the point, right? Keep in mind that 'reward' mentioned above does not always mean good! Webster's 1828 dictionary says:
~~~~
REWARD', v.t. a as aw. [[L. re, denoting return.]
To give in return, either good or evil.
Thou hast rewarded me good, whereas I have rewarded thee evil. 1Sam. 24.
Hence, when good is returned for good, reward signifies to repay, to recompense, to compensate. When evil or suffering is return for injury or wickedness, reward signifies to punish with just retribution, to take vengeance on, according to the nature of the case.
I will render vengeance to my enemies; and will reward them that hate me. Deut. 32.
The Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father, with his angels, and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Matt. 16.
In the latter passage, reward signifies to render with good and evil.
~~~~

No time to say more than that; a little food for thought I suppose. Have a wonderful day!! (we are busy working on the house ... thank God for sermons and books on tape! We are edified as we work :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible.
Comments that contain offensive language will not be posted.