Click here to view a list of free MP3 messages MP3 MESSAGES

Friday, June 17, 2011

In your patience possess ye your souls

In your patience possess ye your souls.

The children and I read this verse yesterday morning during our little time around the table. This verse always blesses me whenever I read past it. It comforts me and brings such peace in the stormiest times. I shared it with a friend yesterday morning and then my oldest son and I talked quite a bit about it when I was taking him to work. It stuck with me all day. I thought it would be good to share it with everyone else too.

Other verses that come to mind are, “Run with patience” and “in whatsoever state I am in, therewith to be content”.

I used to enjoy running. Usually I’d run 2-4 miles at a time but sometimes I’d run 8-10 miles (the longer runs were maybe once a week). There was usually the same pattern with the longer runs: The first few miles always seemed the hardest but then I'd fall into a good pace. Before long however I'd start thinking again about how it was such a long way, I was tired, my legs were hurting, etc, etc. But then I'd get another burst of energy and keep pressing on. In the end I was pleased to be done, refreshed, feeling good, etc. It happened that way nearly every time. If I would have just 'ran with patience' I could have saved myself so much stress.

Tylor shared with me an example too – often times when he is working he does not have time to stop and eat at the time he’d like to stop and eat. Sometimes he does not eat his lunch till 2 or 3 or even later. He said that if he does not control his attitude, those few hours of waiting can be miserable and tough. He knows he is going to be able to eat soon. He knows he has food or will have food. He knows he will not go without. Yet sometimes he still struggles to keep a good attitude while waiting to eat. He knows too that when he does keep a good attitude, everything goes fine and he even feels less hungry.

Another example we talked about. Right now we are watching a few extra children for a while. We’ve noticed how they complain about nearly everything. If there is work to be done, they complain pretty much the whole time, before, during and after the work. Why? The work has to be done, so we might as well do it with a good attitude and a smile on our face, right? I believe many are in this same bondage – having a bad attitude about work. As David says, learn to love what you hate. We do not have to grumble and complain! We can actually learn to enjoy what is put in front of us and be a blessing to those around us too (Tylor is really good at this - he has encouraged us all so many times, though I don't think he knows it). Sometimes a job is hard. Roofing for instance. When Corban first started roofing with Brother Olen he came home that day and told me a story. He said something like, “Mom, it was so hot today [it was very hot that day – upper 90's and they were up on a metal roof in the direct sun]. There were bees and wasps flying all around our heads, the sun was beating off the metal roof into our faces [he was burnt], I was sweating constantly [his clothing was soaked through], my back was hurting, etc. and do you know what Olen was doing? He was whistling and singing!” Praise the Lord - what a good example for my son to learn from. (hope you don’t mind me sharing this Olen?!) We can have good attitudes, be thankful, be cheerful, etc. even in extremely uncomfortable situations.

We don’t have to grumble, complain, etc. And when the job is done, we will feel so much better that our hearts and our consciences are clean.

Ok, back to the verse "in your patience possess ye your souls." Tylor and I talked a lot about how this applies to our walk with the Lord. There will be storms. There will be trials. There will be ‘ups and downs’. We must patiently bear them and go through them … and yes, praise the Lord for them. Maybe we can even whistle and sing through them. I’ve been through some really dark times. Looking back now it’s so easy to see that they were for my own good. Even at the time I KNEW the Lord had my good in mind, but it’s so hard to be joyful and content during those times of trials and darkness. I believe the Lord will give me plenty of opportunities to practice patience and contentment. I pray as each new storm or trial comes, I learn more completely what it means to run with patience.

Praise the Lord.

4 comments:

  1. Encouraging post! I read somewhere a while back that Americans are hung up on the idea that they must "feel good" about something before they can do it. Some things just must be done no matter how we feel, so we just have to get busy and get it done. Certainly helps if the people around you aren't complaining constantly. Gets the job done faster, too!

    Blessings on your full house right now! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this it was a blessing to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, you are right ... there is much to be said for the idea that we must 'feel good' before we do something. This flows right along into our spiritual lives as well. "We" wait around to be 'convicted' or to 'feel good' about doing something before we do it, when really all we should have done is just step out in faith and OBEY what we see right in front of us.

    God bless you all, js

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, I read your testimony about truly being receiving Salvation.I have been questioning 'easy salvation' for some time.I have been trying to read everything on your blog.You have been answering some questions in my heart.I have all these questions that I will approach pastors with & there is always a 'but' or 'however'that somehow makes ME feel as if I asked the wrong questions.I have read Scripture after Scripture & believing my 'context' of what I believed it said was correct only to feel 'shot down' when I ask or when I share it.The tolerance of sin and the 'feel good' things I see going on in churches today hurts my heart.Questions why they are not dealing with sin and/or sending people away because nobody seems to 'see'them hurts my heart.The cliques I see....I could go on forever! I love my pastors, I love the Body I am in but I feel as if I am 'somewhere else'....if that makes any sense. I read the Bible believe something it says & then am given buts, ifs, howevers, with everything. You mentioned the 'fake Jesus'& I must admit at first I was a little taken aback.Yet I have been reading your blog,checking the Bible,watching &observing & now I don't know how I feel. Hmmm, maybe this all was not meant for a comments post. You can contact me at email lpmorin726@gmail.com if it is easier to talk there--then leaving a book on your comments.I don't know what I searching for-or what is going on-I just know that for YEARS I have felt the way you do/did.Much love in Christ

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible.
Comments that contain offensive language will not be posted.