Click here to view a list of free MP3 messages MP3 MESSAGES

Saturday, February 18, 2012

A living sacrifice

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

I shared some of these thoughts with a sister yesterday but thought it would be good to take a little time out to share them here as well. 

I think that sometimes we are tempted to be discouraged or frustrated with our lot in life. I know I am anyway. Yesterday morning I was meditating on this verse and I realized that if I could just keep this verse in my mind at all times, the temptations to be frustrated or discouraged would never come. If I am truly offering my body as a living sacrifice to the Lord, I am dead to myself and my desires. Dead to my hopes and dreams. Dead to anything that is not pleasing to the Lord.

We cannot make a one time statement or commitment and then let it at that. We must daily offer up our lives as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable in His sight.  Each morning when we wake, this should be the first thought in our minds. "Lord, today I am going to offer myself as a living sacrifice to you. I am going to live today in a way that is pleasing and acceptable to you." Or something like that. And then we should have little checks points throughout the day ... a time when we stop and ask ourselves, "Have I been living today in a way that is pleasing to the Lord? Have I done anything thus far that he would frown upon?" If the answer is yes, repent!!! And then move forward, keeping in mind that you are to live in a way that is pleasing to the Lord.

Stop right now and evaluate your life. Evaluate your day. Where is your heart? Are you dead to yourself and your desires ... have you taken up your cross? Or are you holding on to something that is not pleasing to the Lord? Not fully dying to self is a form of rebellion.

Don't be conformed to this world and it's pleasures. Offer your life as a living sacrifice to the Lord, for certainly HE IS WORTHY.

On a side note, this made me think of a sermon titled ARE YOU DEAD YET?
MP3: Are You Dead Yet?
PDF: Are You Dead Yet?

5 comments:

  1. A wonderful, helpful post!
    If you are deeply touched by Him then you try it day by day with a reflection in the evening.

    A question aside: Is it usual in the USA to call members of the same church "brothers" and "sisters"?
    In Germany only members of a monastery are called so.

    Greetings
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the words 'brother' and 'sister' are taken very lightly here in the U.S. It is normal for people to use it for anyone who claims to be a 'christian' but Christ said very plainly, "My brothers and sisters and mother are those that do the will of the Father." For this reason, I am not so quick to call someone a 'brother' or a 'sister' as I do not think it is a term that should be taken so lightly.

    I pray that answers your question? God bless you and thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing - as far as being 'members' of a certain church or group. Christ says very plainly that his followers are all members of his body. It's not about denominations or groups, it's about ONE BODY.

    I pray that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Joanne, for answering me.
    Now it is clear for me how it is used.
    Yes One Body, I know....I hope it will be someday.
    Here are so many word fights about "right" or "wrong" between Christians, so many splitter groups...

    I good start into the new week,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible.
Comments that contain offensive language will not be posted.