Click here to view a list of free MP3 messages MP3 MESSAGES

Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Golden Rule - Do unto others ...

There has been something on my mind for quite some time - treating others as you would like them to treat you. This is commonly called 'the golden rule' and, in case you did not know, it is straight from Christ (see Luke 6). This also makes me think of the two greatest commandments - loving God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and loving our neighbour as ourselves. I believe we must do all we can to keep this in the front of our minds and in our hearts at all times.

This applies in all areas of our lives, but I just want to touch on one thing quickly that hits very close to home right now (mainly because of a current trial an old lady friend is going through, but really we see a lot of old people go through the same trial). If you were in a desperate state and crying out for your loved ones to help you, would you want them to help you? How would you feel if they chose to stay away and let you go through your very hard trials without their help? Betrayed? Abandoned? Sad? Desperate? Something else?

We will reap what we sow. Are we sowing seeds of selfishness or selflessness? What would Christ do?

Each morning I wake up to an alarm that reminds me to help others who are in need. I only recently began this 'tradition' and I think I'm going to keep it going because I am so encouraged and blessed to have this reminder each day. It is a song called "A Beautiful Life" and it goes like this:
  1. Each day I’ll do a golden deed,
    By helping those who are in need;
    My life on earth is but a span,
    And so I’ll do the best I can.
    • Refrain:
      Life’s evening sun is sinking low,
      A few more days, and I must go
      To meet the deeds that I have done,
      Where there will be no setting sun.
  2. To be a child of God each day,
    My light must shine along the way;
    I’ll sing His praise while ages roll,
    And strive to help some troubled soul.
  3. The only life that will endure,
    Is one that’s kind and good and pure;
    And so for God I’ll take my stand,
    Each day I’ll lend a helping hand.
  4. I’ll help someone in time of need,
    And journey on with rapid speed;
    I’ll help the sick and poor and weak,
    And words of kindness to them speak.
  5. While going down life’s weary road,
    I’ll try to lift some trav’ler’s load;
    I’ll try to turn the night to day,
    Make flowers bloom along the way.
One small thing we can do to help someone in need is to visit the nursing home in our community. It does not matter if we know the people in the nursing home or not; there are plenty of people in there who do not have anyone visiting them and would LOVE for someone to visit even if they do not know them (yet!). Commit to visiting these homes weekly [or whatever you are able to do realistically] and see where you are needed. If you don't know where to start, ask a nurse which resident would be a good person to visit - there has yet to be a nurse who has not had a quick answer for us. If you have little ones, GREAT! Old people LOVE little ones and often times they can be good 'ice breakers'. Bring a book to share (they love picture books and little ones can share it with them). Bring some photos. Bring a songbook and sing. Play a game of checkers. Ask about their past. Whatever. Just do something.

I was thinking about all those '30 day' challenges I have seen floating around on various blogs and what not. 3o days of real food. 30 days of crockpot meals. 30 days of exercise. Or whatever. You get the point. How about committing to visiting the nursing home one day a week for a month? Or 30 days in the next several months? [once again, whatever you are capable of] I don't think God really cares if you eat crock pot meals or whole foods or white bread or whatever (gluttony aside) but he DOES care if you are doing to others as you would have them do to you.

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I've been thinking on what it means by "narrow is the way." And I stumbled on your blog. I think this blog answers my question of what it means like to walk in that way: "Love your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind. And love your neighbor as yourself." Thank you for posting. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord. Thank you for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very enlightening post!!
    i am newest follower...
    so glad to stumble on ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jenifer - God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible.
Comments that contain offensive language will not be posted.