Click here to view a list of free MP3 messages MP3 MESSAGES

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Women's Lives Before Social Media ...

This morning I was picking weeds in the garden ... it took me a full two hours in the hot morning sun and I only got one [very long row] finished. As I was picking for those two hours, so many thoughts were going through my mind. I'd like to share a few with you here.

Several scriptures came to mind ... namely:
"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."
"if any will not work, neither shall he eat."
"if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

But I want to focus on the first one. It seems there are so many different schemes today that promise big returns for little to no work. This is certainly true in the gardening world. Over the years we have heard of many different ways or programs or systems that are supposed to be a real help, and their main claim is that your garden will be weed free. Another scripture comes to mind: you will reap what you sow. This weed-free idea seems to go directly against what God said in Genesis 3:19. I believe there must be something more to 'eating our bread by the sweat of our brow' than simply working hard and sweating. So many see this as a negative, but why not as a positive? What a blessing it was this morning to be out in the fresh country air ... I heard so many different birds, had plenty of time to think and pray and praise the Lord. My mind seemed much clearer. Things seemed to slow down a bit in my normally fast-paced world. I spent time with my youngest son. I got exercise. Praise the Lord! Oh yes, and I will reap what I sow. Hard work today will pay off with green beans in a few weeks, God willing. And all because we choose to work by the sweat of our brow instead of spending time and energy trying to figure out a bunch of short cuts that never really work like they claim to anyway.

And short cuts for WHAT? What are we trying to save time for? That leads to the other thing I spent much of my time thinking about, which is also the main subject of this post ...

What were women like before social media? A few ideas I had ... These women probably had time to weed the garden. Time to give their children 100% of their attention for more than a few minutes [how many times have we told our children or someone else "not now, I am busy; I'll do it later" because we were too busy using social media?]. Time to keep up with housework. Time to put a nice, hot meal (probably filled with fresh garden veggies!) on the table for supper. Time to visit some elderly people. Time to help others in need. Time for REAL relationships instead of virtual ones. Time to do all sorts of things.

But more importantly, these women probably took their spiritual and emotional struggles to their husbands or, if not married, their fathers or elder instead of posting it on facebook for all to see ... these women probably took their spiritual head seriously instead of heeding the advice and counsel of a bunch of other women on facebook. This is a perfect recipe for TROUBLE; it is not pleasing to the Lord.

Is our social media and internet use robbing time that should be spent in some other way? [children? housework? ministering to those in need? reading your bible? gardening? yard work? preparing meals?] Is our social media and internet use causing us to turn to other women for help instead of taking our struggles to our spiritual head? These are questions every women must consider before using social medial.

I believe facebook and other such things cause women to "learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not." Remember - we do not have to leave our houses these days to visit with a bunch of people, be tattlers, busybodies and speak things we ought not to. It is false fellowship and it is dangerous.

We are commanded to be keepers at home. Good. Chaste. Obedient. Loving to our husbands and children. Discreet. Sober. Does our use of social media fit into these words?

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post. I have been readin in Genesis also. I found it very interesting that when God called them, they had on the aprons they had made, yet Adam commented that he was naked. I was thinking about how swimsuits are probably similar to the aprons they had on. Anyway, that is off topic...God convicted me about Facebook. I started thinking about how your "wall" is actually filled with pride. Most people ( including me) were boasting. The time it takes and the busybodying was definitely an issue too. I also found out that I also have to be careful blogging. I try to only post things related to scripture and try to only frequent blogs devoted to scripture ( relating to women). It is a great way to stir up your spirit when you don't have a lot of like minded believers to talk to and exhort daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about something like this too. Even in the 1980's when I was growing up it may not have been social media then, but women could fall into wasting time with looking at magazines, soap operas and talk shows on television, reading books for fun that are ultimately kind of worthless. I have even seen women go out of balance with their crafting. I'm barely online more than a few clicks each day but there's plenty for me to stray off into if not careful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison - You are right, your facebook 'wall' is often times just a place to show off. And yes, we must be very careful when blogging. Thank you for the reminders. I know that there really can be true fellowship over the internet, but it's few and far between. Also, people who are really sincere are willing to meet in person or at least talk over the phone.
    :)

    K - magazines, soap operas, talk shows, etc. YES. All ways of wasting time that could be spent in a more productive way ... like serving others instead of serving self.
    There are so many tv shows out today too. Even shows about home improvement, buying / selling houses, antiques or whatever ... they can cause us to lust after things we do not have. Discontent. Lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and the pride of life. But the Lord tells us to seek first HIS kingdom and he will provide the basics ...

    God bless you both! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your views on Facebook and other social media, but unfortunately the majority of those who need to hear what you say will not read this.

    I see the control Facebook has over so many, even in my own family. It is so sad that so many people do not chose to communicate face to face even when they have the opportunity.

    I feel so much more at peace when I stay away from the computer, but having said that I do email and have a blog, but only access them a couple of times a week.

    This morning I have been watching the sunrise...in real life!

    And a walk by the river is so much more peaceful than staring at a computer screen.

    I do enjoy your blog though :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spend much time at home, visit my old grandma, work and after that I am busy at home with all that is to be done...We rarely had any contacts and also not much via internet. But in our liberal church we are starving...So we both start to watch videos and I am looking for encouragement. Internet CAN be a blessing if you use it carefully and always with that attitude, you, Joanne, had discribed - that is great. Your posts are encouraging. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this. I get very concerned about social media, especially Facebook, I have a blog, and I am hoping that it will help me connect with other like minded women, but I pray I don't become vain with it. It's tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! When I weed I contemplate what a joy it is too. I find the solitude powerful and I am able to really appreciate our corner of the world and how abundant it is for our family.

    I am a blogger, but pinterest, facebook etc are overwhelming to me. I love to blog, but it is a journey of my family that once was climbing the world's ladder of success and now living a simple life learning under our Saviour.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible.
Comments that contain offensive language will not be posted.