Click here to view a list of free MP3 messages MP3 MESSAGES

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The humility of learning ...

Today I read this quote from Criss Jami [and as I've said before, I do knot know who he is, I just appreciate the truth in some of the quotes from him that I've seen]: “The barrier during self-improvement is not so much that we hate learning, rather we hate being taught. To learn entails that the knowledge was achieved on one's own accord - it feels great - but to be taught often leaves a feeling of inferiority. Thus it takes a bit of determination and a lot of humility in order for one to fully develop.”  

This brought back a lot of memories and thoughts. When I first started on my walk with the Lord I was soaking up knowledge in all directions ... and then [unknowingly at the time] using that new knowledge to [unrighteously] judge and look down on others. It was not until I joined myself to the body of Christ and got under a godly mentor that I realized I was full of pride. I thought I knew it all ... but really all I knew was a bunch of ideas and even a bunch of facts but had no clue as to how to put all of that in to practice in a loving, living, real way. I strongly believe this cannot be achieved on our own.

It was so easy for me, without a godly fellowship, to sit in my home and know I knew it all. But what did I know except a bunch of dead religion until I was actually able to put my knowledge to the test? For example, it's so easy to say, "Yes, I believe Jesus when he says we are to love our neighbors and love our enemies." Or, "Yes, I believe to marry the divorced is adultery." Or to quote Christ when he said, "Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy." But to actually LIVE that out in reality? That was/is a whole different story and being tested in these areas is where our true selves and hearts are revealed.

Anyone can agree to a list or an idea, and while actions do speak louder than words, actions can also be taken the wrong way. For example, we are told to be meek, humble, etc. but how many of us would accuse Jesus of getting angry and being prideful when he quite aggressively threw the wicked men out of the temple? Of course we would never think we were capable of misunderstanding Christ!! But I'm sure those who wanted him crucified thought the same way.

Let's be careful to not base our judgments on our own emotions, feelings, suspicions, experiences or gossip but on the truth. Which brings up another quote: “Self-righteousness is much like a spiritual egocentricity. It constitutes a secular type of love that thrives under conditionality, one in which is only existent after an individual meets the adopted standards of the condemner; oppositely, unconditional love is a holy love.” 

We are called to love one another, which I believe includes being merciful and forgiving and humble enough to know that things may not always be as they seem to be. Instead of using our energies to look down on others or pick apart their lives and actions, let us use our energies to bless others, lend a helping hand, visit the elderly, help the poor, and so on.

Go out and love someone today!

2 comments:

  1. Well said; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a blessing. i really liked what he what he said....

    “The barrier during self-improvement is not so much that we hate learning, rather we hate being taught. To learn entails that the knowledge was achieved on one's own accord - it feels great - but to be taught often leaves a feeling of inferiority. Thus it takes a bit of determination and a lot of humility in order for one to fully develop.”

    Sometimes we just need to back away and let souls experience things on their own for them to understand and learn.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible.
Comments that contain offensive language will not be posted.