Sunday, June 12, 2022

A State of Prayer

Recently I saw this question posted in a group I am a part of; basically: How are you able to get in time with the Lord - doing bible study and praying - with small children? 

I have touched on this in the past, but I believe it's good to bring it up again. First I'd like to say: there was no bible 2,000+ years ago. Second I'd like to say: praying can [and should!] happen at ANY TIME during the day. 

I believe the MOST IMPORTANT THING is to actually be LIVING OUT what you know to be true. Usually these truths are very, very easy to understand, yet sometimes the simplicity gets lost in the routine / ho-hum of life. We might be able to "fit in" a specific time dedicated to bible reading and prayer, however what are we doing the rest of the day?? Are we grateful? Loving? Kind? In our proper place as women? Attentive mothers? NO ONE would argue with me when I say these things are very precious to the Father. He LOVES a grateful heart. He LOVES a meek and quiet spirit. He LOVES a woman who is mindful of the needs of her husband and seeks to be the best helper she can be. (and so on)
Or maybe you have your specific time for prayer and bible reading, but then the rest of the day you are ungrateful, grumpy, not attentive to the needs of your children / husband / household, etc. If that's the case, then your bible reading and prayer time has actually become a WORK that the Father hates. 

Anyone can read the bible and pray, however only a true believer will actually walk out the truth in their daily lives REGARDLESS of whether or not they had  a specific time to read and pray that day.

If you are at a season in your life where you do not have time for [what you believe is] the ideal bible study and prayer, consider approaching it in a more natural way. When you wake up in the morning, make it a habit to talk with the Father before you even get out of bed. Something as simple as, "Thank you, Father, for another day. Please help me live this day out in a way that is pleasing to you." If there is something specific you are working on, include that in your prayer. Say, for example, you have a problem getting irritated ... before your feet even hit the ground, ask the Father to help you have a "meek and quiet spirit" today. This takes less than a minute, but it puts your mind and heart in the right place and is a great foundation for the rest of the day. 

If you are the type that needs a reminder for prayer, set yourself up for success by designating certain tasks as "cues". Certain prayers can be set for each task, or just pray whatever comes to your heart. I'll try to give a few examples. When you are doing laundry, make that your "cue" to pray for your family. When you are washing the dishes, make that your "cue" to pray for your life as a wife [or sister] and mother. When you are in the garden, make that your "cue" to pray for your fellowship. When you are sweeping the floor, make that your "cue" to meditate on all the things you have to be thankful for. And so on ... OR ... just pray anything! 

Each "cue" should also include seeking the Father's will / wisdom. What areas in your life need improvement? How can you better serve your family? How can you better run your household? How can you be a better wife? Actively seek these things daily, and that will benefit you so much more than fitting in reading the bible. 

Something I personally do: whenever I'm at a stop sign or stoplight, I pray for the people I see driving or walking by. When I'm at the store, I pray for whoever the Father brings to my attention. Not too long ago I was thinking about how a lot of those people might not have ANYONE praying for them!!! Can you imagine? How sad! 

Am I clear enough? This post feels really scattered, but I think it's understandable. It's more important to LIVE the bible out than to read it. But by all means, do both if you can!! And learn how to be in a near-constant state of prayer ... being sure to include GRATEFULNESS and also always seek for wisdom and help aligning yourself to the Father's will.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible.
Comments that contain offensive language will not be posted.