Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Maps.

As far back as I can remember, I loved maps. I still do. I have several of them. When I was younger, I used to be the "co-pilot" for my dad whenever we went on a trip. I could navigate the highways and interstates when I was 4 or 5 years old ... I'd tell my dad what exit the next rest stop was, tell him where his turns were, and so on. I just really, really enjoyed it. 

When my children were growing up, whenever we were going on a road trip, it was always so fun to get out the atlas to track our route. So many options. I'd often pick whatever option seemed the "prettiest". Winding roads, country scenery, skipping the big cities.

Now we have Google Maps and other GPS devices ... all we have to do is enter in the destination and within a second we have more than one option, each option pointing out the time, toll roads, construction, possible delays, and so on. We can even learn WHY there are delays. 

Now we choose our route based on what is the fastest, not the prettiest. The prettiest route is usually just a little bit longer, and who has time or desire anymore to "take the long way home"? 

I do.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible.
Comments that contain offensive language will not be posted.